Yoga in Pregnancy
Yoga is considered as an ancient form of exercise that has contributed to the holistic living of every individual in the most natural way since years. Yoga is like a sacred route to a relaxed brain and healthy body. At the time of pregnancy, when women are suffering from mood swings at different levels, fatigue and illness, aching leg cramps and inhalation problems, yoga exercises, methods and postures provide the necessary respite ensuring a period of calmed nine months followed by pain free labor and smooth delivery.
Precautions during Pregnancy while practicing yoga:
- For the first three months standing Yoga Poses are recommended as this will help to strengthen the legs, improve blood circulation, create energy and lessen leg cramps.
- Avoid those yoga poses that stretch your muscles too much, mainly the abdominal muscles. You are more prone to pulls and other injuries at this particular stage because the pregnancy hormones are released, which allows the uterus to enlarge, at the same time softens connective tissues.
- During the fourth month, you may lessen the time spent for practicing the yoga asanas to avoid exhaustion and overwork. Instead concentrate more on breathing and meditation.
- It is also not recommended to practice yoga between the eleventh to fourteenth weeks of Pregnancy since these are critical times. Do not overstretch your abdomen; the more emphasis should be on the shoulders and the upper back. Try and avoid doing inversion.
- Learn to control your body. If you feel any uneasiness, stop then and there. You will most likely need to make modifications to each pose as your body shape changes. A good trainer can help you to modify your yoga routine to match the stage of pregnancy you are in.
Yoga Poses during Pregnancy:
The following are the Yoga Poses that will help you during the pregnancy period, ensuring smoother and trouble free delivery, and faster health recovery after childbirth. Yoga poses that put stress on the abdomen and other difficult yoga poses should not be performed during advanced stages of Pregnancy. For practicing yoga in pregnancy, following basic poses are recommended –
- Full yogic breathing
- Shoulder lifts
- Ujjayi breathing
- Mountain Pose
- Cat pose
- NadiShodhan Pranayam
- Neck excersises
- Vajrasana with ujjayi
The Practice of Yoga can actually help you to free your mind and body from labor pain as it will help you to concentrate better and keep you healthy and strong. The Yoga Postures are considered to be the gentlest ways of keeping your body energetic and supple and reduce the common Pregnancy symptoms like morning illness and constipation. It can also help in an easier labor and smooth delivery by providing relief from nervousness around the cervix and birth canal. The Breathing methods of yoga can also very useful during labor. It also helps you to stay in shape. Special care, however, is required while choosing the different Yoga Poses that you perform, you should keep away from poses that requires lying on the back or on your belly.